Abstracts are invited for the 43rd Mid-America Medieval Association (MAMA) conference, “What Lies Beneath: Uncovering Structures, Subtexts, Skeletons”. The conference will take place on 14 September 2019 at the University of Missouri—Kansas City.
Plenary Speaker, Professor Kathryn Ann Smith, New York University
Papers on any aspect of medieval culture, medieval studies, and medievalism will be considered, but presentations that consider and/or (re)evaluate what lies beneath the surface of the discipline will be particularly welcome. Potential topics could include but are not limited to:
- discussing excavating bodies in medieval graveyards
- the structures of medieval books
- the subtexts of medieval legal treatises
- the underlying assumptions about race, sex, and gender found in both medieval sources and the scholarly work of medievalists
- the underlying influences on medieval poetry
- the foundations of the medieval motet
- the materials used in producing goods
- what “lies beneath” the profession of medieval studies
Proposals for either papers (abstracts limited to 250 words) or sessions (abstracts limited to 250 words along with a list of titles and presenters) should be sent via email attachment (MS Word preferred) to Linda Mitchell: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for proposals is 25 June 2019.